Seven Benefits of Cleaning with Citrus
European chemist Carl Wilhelm Scheele discovered citrus acid in 1784 and it’s production began in the late 19th century. Researchers began using citrus acid’s amazing properties in the 1940’s and 1950’s during the Manhattan Project.
Since that time, much has been learned about the tremendous results that can be achieved by using citrus fruits in the cleaning process. Here are seven top benefits of cleaning with citrus products:
- There are dangerous chemicals in many of the cleaning products we use. Children and adults are at risk from exposure to harmful chemicals. Oranges, lemons and other citrus fruits are all natural substances that are a strong alternative to dangerous cleaning products.
- Many citrus cleaners are made with d-limonene, a neutral compound found in the rinds of oranges, lemons or limes and can be used as a solvent or a rinseable cleaning solution. In industrial workplaces, hand cleaners, degreasers and strippers often contain limonene as a solvent. Limonene is a substitute for chlorofluorocarbons, chlorinated hydrocarbons, and other more dangerous and non-environmentally friendly solvents. Some studies have shown that limonene has anti-cancer properties.
- Citrus fruits have certain antibacterial properties. The acids in citrus fruits do not kill bacteria, however, they create a hostile environment where many types of bacteria cannot survive and they become inactive. Examples of these bacteria include salmonella and E.coli. Also, in a 2015 study at the German Cancer Research Center, researchers discovered that lemon juice had disinfecting properties against the norovirus.
- Citrus fruits neutralize odors, especially organic odors, and leave a clean fresh scent in their place. In some cases the citric acid combines with the source of the odor and forms salts which can be rinsed away. Orange peels are an excellent all-natural air freshener.
- The acids in citrus cleaners make them highly efficient for industrial cleaning usage. The acids can soften the material that needs to be removed and make it easier to clean it.
- Citrus based floor cleaners are the best way to remove grease from hardwood floors, for example, in and around a kitchen. Citrus fruit acids cut through grease and allow it to be removed safely and easily.
- Citrus Cleaners protect the finish of your floor. Citrus fruits contain an oil that can coat the surface of hardwood floors and offer protection from debris and other substances. These substances are unable to seep into the hardwood, thereby preventing discoloration of the wood.
For more information about the wonders of citrus based cleaners, visit the Citrus Depot Store today.